Saturday, April 30, 2011

Base Impressions

I meant to publish yesterday, but I indulged in the Royal Wedding celebrations and because of that I spent my whole day in front of a TV instead.On the plus side, my opinion of Victoria Beckham improved a lot, she seemed to me one of the most elegant guests, go figure. 
But if the purpose of this post is indeed a review, it's not of yesterday's wedding (maybe some other time). I've been meaning to try all my different page labels and today it's "Reviews" time. Make up reviews, fashion week reviews, outfits review, tennis reviews, life reviews? Everything and anything is revisable, but since this is the first post I thought why not to start by the very foundations...

Foundations is something I know a whole lot about, I've tried dozens of brands, formulas, hues and finishes along the way. Having bad skin as a teen also helped me sharp my foundations browsing skills, so now I want to share my conclusions with you.

So, without further delay, I give you Estée Lauder's DoubleWear Make-up (fluid).

What is it
Longwear fluid foundation of medium/buildable coverage with SPF.


The Claim
15-hour staying power. Flawless all day.
This worry-free, long-wearing makeup stays fresh and looks natural through heat, humidity, nonstop activity.
Won't change color, smudge or come off on clothes.
Feels lightweight and comfortable.

The Truth 
I bought this foundation with my eyes set on the brand, whose skincare line won me a long time ago, and the protentuous claim of lasting all 15h, through thick and thin. This was one of the very first formulas to promise such durability and non-transfer properties, which totally hit the spot for my long PE filled school days.
That being said, I ran to buy it but the next morning I was more than a little disappointed. First, the lightest shade was still too dark for me, something I didn't realize under fluorescent lights, but that's on me.
However, the formula proved too thick, difficult to spread, with a slight muddy feeling. Also, the coverage was far from buildable, even the tiniest bit clouded the skin heavily, demanding extra care unless you want to take spot patterns to an upper level, i.e, your face. And if you make the rookie mistake, like I did, of being generous on the amount of product you might end up with a too matte, clay-ish, opaque veil over your skin. Either way, it takes too long to put on which is not your ideal scenario if you're on with little time to get ready in the morning.
It doesn't feel very comfortable either, the heavy texture weights on your skin, making it impossible to forget you're wearing make up. That said, by the end of the day, it's not very easy to remove either, calling for extra strong removers (e.g. oils).
Now, not all things are bad. To be fair, this foundation does stand the test of time, lasting a good 12h+ hours (my record was 14h) in decent presentation. Not surprisingly, it actually looks better a few hours after applying and once the skin's natural oils blend with the formula, diluting and allowing for some dewiness to emerge.
Plus, it stays true to the claim of being non-transfer, even if your skin is a little sweaty. Actually, DoubleWear handles sweat really well, holding in place even after a 90min PE class which includes 20min jogging to begin with.
On the overall I have to say that this foundation wasn't entirely disappointing, but it sure left me with some doubts. I bought one jar and haven't returned for more. I believe my concerns are fair as within a year after my purchase Estée Lauder launched a lightweight version of DoubleWear, acknowledging the limitations of  the original version.

The Best
It's truly a longwear make up, lasting a decent 14h.

The Worst
The formula is too thick and difficult to spread.

The decision
3/5


Anyway, this is my first review. I'm still tuning the right framework to present all my ideas, so feedback is more than welcomed, after all I'm not writing for myself.







No comments:

Post a Comment